Thursday 2 June 2011

Okay so I'm doing another one, And What?

Here then is what I promise to be the concluding chapter of my impromptu mini-series on car ads. Has this piqued interest in car ads been caused by some murky subconscious lust or a result of the simple abundance of car ads? Well perhaps the former but to simplify it into saying there are a lot of car ads wouldn't be fair. There have been some visually remarkable cars ads recently.

This next one has been on TV a while now, so you and I have had ample chance to see it. Despite this it's not one I immediately sat up and took notice of, if anything I maybe ignored it at first thinking 'Oh here we go again, another tenuous link effort to piggy back on Star Wars.' But on examination I rather like it, and judging by the hit rating on Youtube so do quite a lot of you.




This has to be one of, if not my favourite adoption of the Star Wars franchise. The videography is spot-on, contributing enough dramatic irony to make most parents chuckle. Target audience laughing? For the right reason? Win.

My enduring feeling is the ad stands up so well to repeat watches; almost every scene makes you laugh but there are those subtler elements as well. Among my favourite: the mother's part bemused, part concerned facial expression at 0:26, the slow-zoom onto the baby doll's face at 0:19 and mini-darth's stumbling rebuff of his father's return at 0:37. There are a few more but I won't spoil it too much. Small in size but large in performance, the charms of this budding star not only make the ad unequivocally clear this is a family car.

Whether the timing of this ad is relevant is my only qualm; can you remember when the last Star Wars film was released? In a galaxy far, far away...long, long ago...that's for sure. Never the less Star Wars is an entity ALL children should be relentlessly exposed to, forever. This ad makes Curry's gratuitous, tasteless exploitation of two of cinema's finest... R2D2 and C3PO... look like the fail it was and rightly so.

No comments:

Post a Comment